About the venue
St. Martin of Tours Parish Church, stands in the furthest North West Corner of the Winchester Diocese and Deanery of Whitchurch. The church nestles at the foot of the Downs, below the highest point of Hampshire, Pilot Hill, which is a little below 1000 feet.
It is believed that there has been a church on the site for at least 1000 years. The parish of St. Martin’s East Woodhay is part of the North West Hampshire Benefice, the Bishop of Winchester and Earl of Carnarvon being the patrons of the living.
The present church of St Martin was built in 1823, being late Georgian. It is very light, with splendid acoustics, and is frequently used for concerts and recordings.
In 2016, with the help of generous grants from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund and the Basingstoke and Deane Community, Heritage and Environment Fund, the failing old lead guttering was replaced by a new stainless steel system.