About the venue
There has been a church in Burghclere or Old Burghclere since about 1100 AD. The first Rector recorded in post was in 1259 . The present Church of the Ascension dates from 1838 with significant alterations having taken place from the 1870s to the 1890s. It is an attractive and superbly maintained Grade Two listed building with many fine features including the reredos, the screen and the Whistler Millennium window. The church has a good musical tradition and a fine choir.