About the venue
Hungerford Church is hidden away down by the Kennet and Avon Canal, some way behind the main town centre. It is a dramatic sight when first seen peeking through the trees from the road. It appears to be a magnificent piece of medieval Perpendicular architecture, with castellations and pinnacles everywhere. However, it is Regency Gothic Revival, only built in 1814 probably in imitation of the real thing at St Nicolas Church, Newbury. Its Bath stone was brought up the canal. The previous building had unfortunately collapsed after the tower had been rebuilt.
The interior appears wide and open, and is very similar to St. Nicolas Church in Newbury, although on a smaller scale. It has been much altered in various Victorian re-orderings. The font came from the old church, but the chief ancient relic is the 14th century effigy of Robert de Hungerford and the unusual inscription which goes with it.