About the venue
The striking Grade II listed Norman Revival church of St Mary’s was built in 1840 after Joseph Hansom, the vicar, had been on a holiday to the Isle of Wight, where he was inspired by a neo-Norman church. when he returned to Shaw he tore down the existing church, which may have stood since the late Saxon period, and erected the striking building we see today.
Although the church is nominally influenced by Norman style, it certainly has an Italianate influence as well.The nave is in 12th century style, while the chancel was built in 13th-century style by architect William Butterfield in 1878. The material is a mix of flint and ashlar dressed with stone, beneath a slate roof.
An account of the old church on the site mentions a rounded Saxon tower at the west end. This was destroyed by gunpowder to make way for the new church, and no trace can be found today.
Though the building is Victorian, some interesting features of the older church have been retained, including a 13th century font with a rounded bowl.