The building was originally an 18th century hunting lodge owned by the Foley family, who owned land locally. Grace, daughter of Thomas Lord Foley, wife of James Hamilton Earl of Clanbrassil (Viscount Limerk, Baron Clanboy) was the last of the Foley family. She died in 1748 without an heir and the land was sold to a Rev Hartley in the mid-19th Century. The lodge was later owned by the Sutton Estate. By the 1960s the building was rented out as flats.
In 1969 Foley Lodge was converted into a restaurant and banqueting centre. In 1978 it was refurbished as The Foley Lodge hotel. Sir Peter Michael purchased the property in 1996 and relaunched it under the current name ‘The Vineyard’ in March 1998.